Whipping isn’t just for butters, you know. Coconut oil, because it solidifies at room temperature, spreads a little easier when whipped with another oil. Here’s a quickie hair care recipe that I’m just loving—it’s way lighter and fluffier than my normal winter hair butter. Works well as a pre-poo, or for daily maintenance:
Whipped Coconut-Grapeseed Oil
Ingredients (click the links to shop ‘em)
- 2 oz melted raw unrefined organic coconut oil; penetrates the hair shaft to condition and strengthen.
- 1 oz unrefined organic grapeseed; contains antioxidants, vitamin E, essential fatty acids.
- 5 drops of sweet orange essential oil (optional); sweet citrus fragrance.
- Place coconut oil and grapeseed oil into a bowl. Mix well and whip with a hand mixer. Place the mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and whip more as mixture begins to thicken. Place in the freezer again for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and add the essential (optional). Whip a final time until mixture has a creamy consistency.
- Store in the fridge to retain the fluffiness and consistency (added 4/16/12, thx Lise!).
A little goes a long well, so use a light hand when applying to your tresses.
How do you take your coconut oil? Straight up, or mixed with another ingredient?