Smooth as beach glass is the mission, but first, the basics on making a scrub to slough the rough of winter away before donning the bikini this summer. Here is a simple recipe to take and make your own:
DIY Summer Scrub (via The Natural Beauty Workshop)
- ½ cup fine grain natural salt or sugar
- 1 – 2 ounces carrier oil
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon essential oil, fragrance oil, or CO2 extract
Usage & Handling
It’s best to make scrubs to order, and use them right away, but if you have to store the scrub for any period of time here are some tips to keep is safe and fresh:
- Store your scrub in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place. The refrigerator is ideal, but a cupboard or cabinet is fine too.
- Never handle the scrub directly. Always use clean spoons or spatulas to mix, and scoop the scrub.
- Don’t take the whole jar of scrub into the shower or bath. Instead, scoop a single portion into a breakproof container.
- Discard the scrub immediately if it changes in smell, color, or texture.
- Discard the scrub after three weeks, and make a fresh batch.
- Add a preservative, such as Grapefruit Seed Extract or Liquapar Oil to help reinforce it against microbe growth.
- Add an antioxidant, such as Vitamin E T50 or Rosemary Oil Extract to help keep the Carrier Oil fresh.
- If you plan to sell your scrub, consider having your formula professionally challenge tested.