Welcome to the grilling season! Before you throw those dogs, burgers and veggie kabobs on the grill, brush them generously with this sweet, spicy and spunky glaze. All of the ingredients can be found at your average grocery store. So if you’re grilling it up for Independence Day, you can zip to the market, whip this up and have it ready before the charcoals are red hot. Pow!
Chipotle Cacao Grilling Glaze (via Mountain Rose Blog)
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 3/4 cup organic rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic tomato paste
- 1/4 cup organic orange juice
- 2 tablespoons organic cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon organic chipotle chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon organic cinnamon powder
Simmer the sugar and water together until completely dissolved. Add the other ingredients and gently simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes. Use a basting brush to paint the sauce on your pre-grilled protein of choice. This is a flavorful glaze, so one or two layers will do. Throw the glazed protein back on the grill over high heat for a few minutes until it caramelizes nicely, but be careful not to let the sauce burn. Remove from the grill and dig in!
Have a safe and happy Independence Day!
Photo: Steven Klein for W Magazine