Coconut water shall forever be found in my fridge. Right beside the aloe vera juice.
Yeah, tropical cultures have been on to this health and beauty secret for centuries, but coconut water is def the hot kid on the block these days. Celebrated because it is fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-cal, and naturally loaded with electrolytes (it has nearly twice the amount of potassium of banana) coconut water is being marketed as the next best thing since holy water.
Benefits of Coconut Water for Hair + Skin Care
Coconut water is great for replacing water and electrolytes lost in heavy exercise and activity, but I’m smitten (despite what the folks over at CNN are saying) because it is:
- Amazingly hydrating (about 95% water)
- Anti-viral, anti-fungal and antibacterial
- Ideally pH balanced between 4.5 – 5.5 (depending on the maturity of the water)
It’s no surprise that coconut water is turning up in hair, skin and body products by manufacturers like LUSH and Perricone MD.
How to Use Coconut Water for Hair + Skin Care
- Treat acne and acne scars by applying coconut water directly to affected areas. or, mix coconut water with turmeric (soak paste for 3 days in the refrigerator) and apply as a mask.
- Boost your ‘poo or condish with a couple capfuls of coconut water for extra hydration and scalp treatment.
- Mist the body with coconut water before heading into hot weather.
Where can I get it?
Pure coconut water can be found at some health food stores, vitamin stores, and ethnic markets. Flavored varieties such as Vita Coco, ZICO, and O.N.E. can be found at many grocery chains. I gave an old twist-out life this morning with a few spritzes of Vita Coco coconut water (non-flavored). Fab, I tell you. I drank the rest on my way to the office. Holy coconut oil, it was the most-est!
Are you up on the coconut water craze? How do you use it?