I was once a vegetarian. And then one day I decided to have a pork barbeque sandwich—just like that, no regrets, just had a hankering for some pork. Although I’m still not a hard core carnivore, I do long for the awesome skin and super elastic tresses I had during that veggilicious time in my life. Sigh. Anyhoo, I’m trying a little harder to get some greens in my life, and the glow back in my skin. I’m starting with baby steps by having one green smoothie, 3 days a week. Feels a little like gaming the system—getting the recommended allowance of veggies in a convenient and delish drink, but all good indeed.
There is a full blown green smoothie movement going on, and it seems that everyone has their own definition, but in its purest form, a green smoothie is a blended beverage that is:
- 60% fruit
- 40% green leafy vegetables
- enough water to blend to a nice consistency
I told you why I’m greening up my innards, but here are some other benefits (adapted from The Raw Family):
- Green smoothies are very nutritious.
- Green smoothies are easy to digest.
- Green smoothies, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
- Green smoothies taste great.
- Green smoothies provide enough greens for the day to nourish your body.
- Green smoothies are easy to make, and quick to clean up after.
- Green smoothies have proven to be loved by children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old.
- When consuming your greens in the form of green smoothies, you are greatly reducing the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
- Regular consumption of green smoothies forms a good habit of eating greens.
- While fresh is always best, green smoothies will keep in cool temperatures for up to three days.
Here’s the recipe I tried for my inaugural green voyage:
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- handful of spinach
- handful of kale
- 3 oz coconut water
Some other flourishes I plan to rotate in include:
- agave nectar
- hemp milk
- flax seed
- peanut butter
Have I peaked your interest? Check out this vid for a Green Smoothie 101:
Also, great recipes found here at Green Monster Movement.
Have you ever tried a green smoothie? How did you like it? What do you put in your green smoothies?