Disclosure: I only use shampoo after swimming (spring and summer) or sloshing through a mosh pit at Coachella (I’ve neither experienced a mosh pit, nor Coachella, but they’re both on my bucket list). When I do break out the ‘poo, I always add a little something, something to really set it off. What? You’ve never pimped out your ‘poo? No worries, for starters you can try adding just a little:
- Coconut water: amazingly hydrating, anti-viral, anti-fungal and antibacterial; ideally pH balanced between 4.5 – 5.5.
- Rosewater: soothes and heals the scalp while increasing blood circulation.
- Rice water: contains inositol which has the potential to repair damaged hair, as well as protect the hair from damage.
- Green tea: packed with anti-oxidants, is anti-inflammatory and may block DHT, the hormone that causes hair loss.
- Clay: bentonite, rhassoul and other varieties are awesome for detoxing the tresses and stimulating blood flow at the scalp; most are rich in silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium and sodium.
- Irish moss: packs a punch with a high percentage of vitamins A, B, C, and D, and is also rich in sulfur.
- Rosemary essential oil: stimulates the scalp, treats dandruff, and is said to slow premature hair loss and graying; do not use rosemary oil if pregnant, epileptic or have high blood pressure.
- Wheat germ oil: has tons of antioxidants, and is anti-inflammatory; high percentage of ceramides.
- Royal jelly: loaded with 134 nutrients including vitamins A, C, D, E, B-1, B-2, B-5 (pantothenic acid), B-6, B-7 (biotin), B-9 (folic acid), 17 amino acids (building blocks of protein), inositol (magic ingredient in rice water), and has antioxidant and antibiotic properties.
Note: When adding ingredients, add only to the ‘poo that you will be using immediately, not to the entire bottle. Otherwise the ‘poo’s preservative may not be enough to keep the product from going rancid.
Stay tuned for more ways to pimp your ‘poo…
Do you ‘poo? Do you ever pimp it? How?